Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 8

Day 8 - A Place You've Traveled To

After Matt and I got engaged, we went over to his parents to tell them the exciting news. We were happy, and giddy, and thought they would be too. But I swear that the first words that came out of his moms mouth were, "Oh good, you can come hike the Chilkoot Trail with us."

I was expecting something like, "Oh you will be the best daughter in law that I could ever ask for, and Matt really doesn't deserve you." You know something along those lines.

Well it turns out that hiking the Chilkoot was really really fun. For those of you that don't know, the Chilkoot trail, is the trail that the people who went to the Yukon for gold followed, back when there was the gold rush in the 1890's. We flew to the Alaska, and then hiked 33 miles, for 5-6 days. We had to carry everything we needed in our backpacks, food, tent, clothes.

The scenery was beautiful, and the weather was perfect. It was really cool, because when the goldrush people were following the trail, they would leave stuff behind that was too heavy for them to carry any further. So we saw old rusty cans, shoes, and other really random things. We went with Matt's parents, and 6 sisters. It was something that I never even considered doing. Who goes on a holiday hiking? Well it turns out that a hiking holiday is really fun. I would definitely do it again, and would recommend it to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha I was just telling someone about this the other day. Rememebr our 'bath'? Hahahahahaha. I loved that trip. I still feel good about myself when I think that I did it!!!
    Ans Matt really doesn't deserve you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she didn't have to say it, because everyone already knew it!

    i remember that for some reason i was stuck in the same tent as the "newly weds"...

    what up with that?!

    ReplyDelete