Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 10

Day 10 - Something Your Afraid Of

This one is easy.

Hornets, Bees, and Wasps!!

I HATE them! Just looking at this picture makes me shudder (who is this lunatic holding this gigantic hornet?) I promise even for $5000, I would never do that!!

If I see a bee I run! Let me tell you my scariest bee story. It might make you question whether I should be a mom or not.
A couple summers ago, we were at my moms. The kids all wanted to jump on the hay bales, so I went out there with them. There were a few wasps swarming around, but I did my best to run away from them. Then Chase started yelling for me - not hysterical, just nice and calmly. He was probably 6 or 7. So I went to see what the problem was, and there was one of those creepy wasps crawling on his shirt. There was no way in the world that I was going to swat it away, for fear that it would attack me! So, from a distance, I told him to hold still, and it would fly away. But it didn't, it just kept crawling around his shirt. I promise I was freaking out inside, but I was acting really calm. Then that wasp did the unthinkable, it crawled down the neck of his shirt!!!!
I promise, I had no idea what I should do! Again, from a distance, I told him to keep holding still, and to pull his shirt away from his stomach, and told him that it would fly out. Of course I didn't believer that for a second, and I was expecting him to start screaming any second with a wasp bite! But that wasp did neither! It was just happy as can be crawling around in his shirt!!
I don't remember how we did it, or how I worked up the nerve, but we finally were able to kill it!
I can honestly say, that at that moment, I would rather him get stung then get close enough to that wasp to kill it! Does that make me a terrible mom? Probably. But, I really don't like them, so I think its OK.

3 comments:

  1. that is so funny to me. how can you be scared of them if you know they wont' sting you even if it's crawling around in your shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shannan! I share this ultimate fear with you. Even to see a tiny one, sitting calmly on something, makes me shudder and want to run! Yuck!!!!

    ReplyDelete