Friday, April 15, 2011

Running

When I was living in Lethbridge, one of Matt's cousins was turning 30, and she decided that for her b-day she wanted to run a half marathon.  I was totally impressed.  She trained for it, and did it!

Then a couple years later, one of my best friends from high school, did a half.  Again I was really impressed.

Last year I started running, I did a few 10km races, and had lots of fun doing them.  This year, I decided to try the half marathon...  I run it on June 11, in Cochrane.  My bro-in-law Mini Matt, is going to run it with me!

Now I must tell you that I'm not a naturally talented runner.  Some people just have it (Kristen G.), but I'm not one of them.  I have to work hard at it.  I signed up for my race and then got on a training schedule.  This week I'm half way through training, and tomorrow I run the farthest I have ever run in my entire life, 9 miles.  I promise I'm nervous.  The thing that makes this even harder, is that because there is still snow outside, I'm running it on my treadmill.  Not really exciting.

Anyway, lately I've been reading a lot of running blogs, and they tell about their running experiences.  I find it really motivating to read what others are doing, so I hope that by writing down what I'm doing, I will be held more accountable.

I guess I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.  If anyone has any advice for me, please leave me a comment.  I can use all the help I can get!

8 comments:

  1. Mini Matt is so excited and nervous to run with you! He ran 10 km a couple days ago and has been sore!!! I promise I will be cheering from the sidelines the whole way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo, way to go! I havent run more than about 10K since before Ivy was born. Were you talking about Wendy turning 30? Yikes, I'm turning 30 this year, I guess I should accomplish something! Haha. My advice for you is to run OUTSIDE tomorrow! It's not as slippery as you think, and it would be WAY easier than doing it on the treadmill! Good luck! I cant wait to hear about your big race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I have run a half Marathon before...and if you can do 11 miles you can easily run the half!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. shannon! nice work! i am very impressd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shannon! i'm thrilled for you! you will soon come to be addicted. the high after a race is unbeatable.

    my only advice that has gotten me through my races is pumping my arms. when my legs want to give out, rely entirely on your arms because your legs and arms are in sync and however hard your arms are pumping is however hard your legs will go!

    go get em girl!!! i can't wait to hear how it goes! your going to do awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are seriously my hero. I can't believe you have the energy to do this with 5 kids on the side. Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and good luck! I was in that mode a couple years ago and did 3 half marathons. I am NO where near wanting to do it again, so good luck with the first one. It's too bad you don't have any friends to do it with you. That's what got me through it,and then Brianne did the 3rd one with me and it was so fun holding hands across the finish line together. Hopefully it will get nicer out and you'll be able to go outside. I remember each long run being so excited about it being the longest I've ever ran before.
    Sorry about the rambling, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete