Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wednesday Supper

I decided to try something new in our family.  Every Wednesday, someone gets to be in charge of Supper.  They get to pick what we eat, and I will teach them how to make it.  I am hoping that this will give me the chance to teach the kids how to cook, and also spend a little one-on-one time with them.

The first Wednesday Chase was in charge.  He chose pizza for supper.  Here he is cutting the pepperoni.  I think he had a lot of fun cutting, and cooking.  And he was proud as punch to tell dad that he made supper!



Kadie made dinner the next week.  She chose Hawaiian Haystacks, her very favorite meal.  I forgot to take pictures of her cooking, but she had a lot of fun too.  I think that it is easier for everyone in the family to eat the meals that the kids make.  There was no crying or complaining when we ate.  Maybe the kids should cook every night!



Even Spencer wants to help cook.  He is making us some casadia's.  I was sure that he was going to burn himself on that pan, but he didn't.  He definitely loved being in charge that night.
I think this is a really fun thing for my kids to do.  I'm sure that some of you parents are thinking, you only let your kids cook once a month!, but for me that is plenty.  Supper time is definitely the most chaotic time of the day, and if I cook with my kids once a week, I feel like I'm doing pretty good!  So if anyone wants to start a fun new tradition, I would definitely recommend this!

9 comments:

  1. What a great/neat idea. I may copy you. It sounds like a great way to have some one on one time with your kids. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. spencer could not look more proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shannon! your such a freaking cute mom. promise im obsessed with this idea and only wished my mom did that. i was left screwed not knowing how to cook anything. i love you having a blog. it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this! they can come cook supper for me anytime! that pizza looks so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shan. its quesadillas. pronounced kay-sa-dill-ah.
    that is really cute. i think ty might try that (help me cook once a week...).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really neat. I do this during the summer but seem to get to busy during the school year. Look like lots of yummy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly (Napolean?) haha it's pronounced casadia!!!
    Shann you are so great. My kids are jealous.
    And what does proud as punch really mean??? Why would punch be proud???

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea Shannon! When I no longer have to prepare supper in ADVANCE to survive the 4-6pm chaos...I will definitely implement this or something similar! Thanks for sharing! Hmmmm... maybe I will highlight you in my blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay, I'm just finally catching up now. That pizza makes me drool. It's raw, right? I want some now.

    ReplyDelete