Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

You know how some holidays are more fun than others?  Well, for some reason I really like St. Patricks Day.  I remember as a kid putting so much thought into what I was going to wear.  If I would wear lots of green, or just a little bit, and try and trick people.  Well, I still love it!

One thing that I remember my mom doing was making us green bread to take to school.  So that's what Marlie and I did on Wednesday.  Add a little (lot) of green food coloring, and walla! you have green bread.  Unfortunately, when I use my moms bread recipe, you don't get just one loaf, you get 5.  And really, who needs 5 loaves of green bread?


So I thought it would be fun to deliver the extra loaves to families in our ward with little kids.  The first house we went to, I felt like a complete idiot!  The mom answered the door.   On her front porch stood my gaggle of, hyper kids, handing them a loaf of green bread.  She gave me a very questioning look, and I said that I thought everyone needed green bread for St. Pats Day.  Apparently she didn't agree.  She took the bread with a very forced smile...  hummm, guess who's not getting service from me again?...

At least the other families thought it was cool!          


When we lived in Stettler, we were introduced to a new favorite tradition - Leprechaun Traps.  I had never heard of such a thing as a kid, but apparently, leprechauns love to make trouble.  St. Patricks Day Eve, the leprechauns go from house to house and get into mischief.  So kids have started to make traps, and if you catch one, then you get all of their gold.  If I get free gold, I'm all over making a trap of any kind!

I wish that I would have taken pictures of all my kids traps, they were ingenious!  Here's a shot of Kadies.  A cardboard box, with sequins leading up to a hole in the top of the box, with a sign attached that says, "to get the sequins go into the hole."  Here's the trap- once he fell in,there was no way out!!! 

Too bad he must have had a knife or something, because in the morning there was a hole stabbed out of the side of thebox, and no leprechaun to be seen.
Here's what he left us!  Chocolate Loonies!!  Spencer, of course thought it was real gold!


For supper tonight, we had a green meal- of course! 

Green spinach noodles, with green Alfredo sauce. 
Peas
 Cesar Salad
Green Jello
 and Green Juice.

Delicious. 

 My kids loved it.  and for desert - Green Angle Food Cake.  Yes I used almost a whole pack of green food coloring today!

Hope you all had a Happy St. Patricks Day! 

7 comments:

  1. that is so fun! weird that that lady didn't appreciate the bread though... leprechaun traps are funny.
    and i absolutely love your meal! haha very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shan you are the best mom! i hope the unapreciative neighbour thought it was just moldy bread. i really cant believe how much thought and effort you put into silly ol st pattys day

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and i love your new blog look

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a fun mom! We hardly did anything for St Patrick's Day....we're so booooring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you get the Best Mommy Award! My kids spent a lot of time getting dressed for the day...however...it was Laura who made the green mush for breakfast...not her un-festive parents! That cracks me up that you kids are still making Leprechaun traps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had never heard of leprechaun (spelling?) traps... but i love green jello!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are such a fun mom. the leprechauns completely trashed our house, ugh.
    your neighbour is a pill. bring that bread to someone who would appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete