Friday, January 21, 2011

No More Screens

So lately, my kids favorite thing to do is watch TV.
If I wont let them do that, they really enjoy playing the DS.
They also completely love Matts I-phone.
Netflix is a new favorite.
Games on the computer.
X-box...

Do you see where I'm going with this? Right now my kids are obsessed with anything that has a screen. They beg, and plead to watch. Trust me, when I was packing and moving, I didn't have time to get them going on anything else. And when I have bookwork to do, its soo easy to pop a movie in for them. But, Ive come to realize that enough is enough. They have absolutely NO desire to do anything else. There is snow outside on the ground, and friends come over to invite them out sledding, but No, they don't want to go, they are watching a show.

So this week for FHE, we made a family challenge. No Screens for a month!

Morning #1, Marlie and Spencer both begged for a show. I said no, then they went and happily played together with their toys. After school, the first thing Chase wanted to do was watch TV, I said no, and him and Kadie went off to play together. There was no fighting, and less crying all day!!
Day #2, Marlie and Spencer both asked to watch a show. I said no, then they told me that they never agreed to stop watching TV. I said tuff luck, and they happily played.

I can honestly say that I am loving it! I should have done this months ago. We told them that Friday night could be our movie night, and we would watch a movie together as a family. So I'm happy to report that not once have me or the kids broken our no screen rule.

But today I got home from running around doing errands, and I saw the X-box controller out, and all the blinds drawn... I'll have to ask Matt if he saw anyone sneak into the house today and play the X-box while he was working in the home office...

9 comments:

  1. shannon....doesnt a computer have a screen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha les, i was thinking the same thing!! i love that matt couldn't resist the x-box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt, for being so supportive!!! Hahaha, he should be used to it, we did this all the time as kids!
    Good for you, I think this is awesome.
    I was threatening my kids with this yesterday. "Kadie and Chase can't watch TV for a month!!! Ask me one more time and it will be you!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Shannon! I am impressed with your commitment and dedication to a very difficult rule and I look forward to hearing where you are at in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are not watching movies right now, except for when they go to the Russells, or when G&G watch them, or when they sneak up to Phoebe's room and she lets them watch anything they want. As you can see, it's going really well. Go team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom says:
    As the mother of the accused I want to submit that Matt was never allowed to play the Nintento on weekdays his entire growing up years. It is NOT my fault!

    I say:
    Allow anonymous comments so that I don't have to comment for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was thinking the same thing as tracie and leslie. haha. but i'm glad you haven't given up the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your new picture for your blog!
    holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok i love jenny's implication that all the tv watching happens here. thanks for that.
    how's it going shann?

    ReplyDelete