Wednesday, September 22, 2010

$8.66

So, an interesting thing happened to me today.

I had to go to the dollar store to get a few crafting supplies for Marlie and Spenc. As I was wondering the store, I noticed a few other people shopping, one was a 45ish man, black leather jacket, shaved head, bit overweight, you get the picture - right? Anyway, I finished my shopping, and brought my purchases up to the till, gave the lady my bank card, and of course the machine wouldn't read my card. The cashier tried swiping it a few times, and then put the card in a plastic bag, and tried swiping it again, but of course it wouldn't work. So I was frantically searching my purse for $8.66, and do I have it? No of course not. I noticed that there were a few people behind me, one of them was "the man". I gave the cashier my MasterCard, but Matt had just bought a bunch flooring for a house on it, so of course it was maxed. I felt a bit silly, so I said, "let these other people go ahead of me, and I'll check my purse again for some cash." The man behind me bought his stuff, and then as he was leaving he turned to me, and gave me ten dollars. I was shocked. And humbled.

I know that we are taught in our church to serve, and look for ways to help others, but I was blown away that this stranger, who I pegged as "rough", would be so kind to me. It made me realize how important it is to look out for others, and be more Christ like. It was a simple thing that he did, but I hope that this experience will make me a better person.

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome. What a nice guy. I would have probably given him a hug, right there in front of everyone, and I don't know, started crying or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is so nice of a complete stranger. lots of lessons to be learned in this post. loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shan , it was me, I've taken the face painting thing to a whole new level. You owe me $10

    ReplyDelete
  4. i teared up. i watched someone do that for a young woman the other day, and it changed my life. i actually look for ppl to do that for, now. but you're right: it can be any small service. thanks for sharing.
    holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shann that's so awesome. It makes me think of a bumper sticker I used to have that said "Practice ramdom kindness and senseless acts of beauty."
    And now you get to pay it forward!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all how the heck did i not know you had a blog!! Last time i saw your blog it was that pic of that really really "cute" dog you guys own and i thought that was the end. Im very happy to see you have a real one now!! And second its nice to know that the world still has nice people like that in it!! Very cool story!

    ReplyDelete